We believe the ability to communicate and express ourselves is essential. A high-quality education in English will teach our pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others. We also work hard to develop the skills associated with reading and listening to ensure that others can also communicate back.
We aim for children to be able to:
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding.
- Have a love of books and read for enjoyment.
- Have an interest in words, their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- Spell a range of words confidently.
- Have an understanding of punctuation and grammar and to be able to apply their knowledge when writing.
- Understand a range of text types and genres – be able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation and audience.
- Develop the powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness.
Please look at our English policy for more details or chat to a class teacher. Don't forget to visit the KS2 library in Class 6 or our other bookcases around school for new books! We're more than happy to recommend books too!