Stamford Bridge Primary School

​Fun, friendship and learning for life

Special Educational Needs

The SEN policy and arrangements for supporting pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) have been revised to ensure they are in line with the regulations of the 2014 Children and Families Act and the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 - 25 years. 


A Guide for Parents/Carers

Every school must have a teacher with training and/or experience of Special Educational Needs (SEN) to be the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo). However, every teacher is a teacher of SEN so your child’s teacher will be able to answer many of your questions.

Your views are very important. Home and school can then work in partnership to agree support for your child. This will help your child make good progress.

All children are individuals and progress at different speeds – sometimes the school may decide that a child would benefit from some extra help and will set individual targets. These may be put into a document such as a support plan, IBP (Individual Behaviour Plan) or as monitoring targets in the first instance.

Finding out about your child’s Special Educational Needs.

Questions you might like to ask your child’s teacher or the SENCo

Because all children are individuals, there will be some questions that only apply to your child.
• What progress has my child made?
• How is the school helping my child to make progress?
• What extra support is he/she getting?
• Who is working with my child?
• When does this happen?
• How can I help my child?
• How will you keep me informed about how well he/she is doing?
• When will we meet to find out about my child’s progress?
• Who can I contact for more information and advice?

The role of the SENCO

At Stamford Bridge Katy Jackson is responsible for SEN across Foundation Stage, Key Stage one and Key Stage two.

• Has an overview of children with SEN and makes sure records are kept of their progress and support.
• Keeps a list of children with SEN.
• Make sure parents/carers, are kept informed.
• Advise, support and train teachers and support staff.
• Co-ordinate provision for children with SEN.
• Check on the progress and well-being of children with SEN.
• Work with other professionals such as The WLP SENCO Consultant, Educational Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapists and    behaviour specialists to plan, support and monitor progress for children with SEN.
• Ensure that access arrangements are followed for KS2 SATS.
• Follow the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice.

There may be an occasion when school feels that it would be beneficial for your child to have a specialist assessment which will involve your child demonstrating what they can do and highlight any difficulties they may have.
This is usually done in conjunction with our SEN Consultant within the WLP or with an Educational Psychologist. We would seek parental permission prior to this.

The following services may also be able to help you:
• Parent Partnership Service
Offers fair, confidential information, advice and support to parents/carers of children with SEN

• East Riding Voices in Partnership (ERVIP)
Parent group that meets to influence policies, practices and services for families of disabled children.

• Education Officer (Special Educational Needs)

Local Education Officer responsible for statutory assessment and statements of Special Educational Needs

If you would like to contact any of these services, please visit the Eriding website.