Our curriculum provides a strong foundation of word recognition and secured language comprehension to enable all children to be engaged with their reading. Equipped with the essential skills that underpin writing, they access rich and varied texts, applying their creativity and understanding of features and authorial intent to produce purposeful pieces.
Children at Stamford Bridge Primary School are empowered to be cohesive and independent readers and writers for life.
We believe the ability to communicate and express ourselves is essential. A high-quality education in English will teach our pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others throughout the rest of their lives.
We aim for children to be able to:
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding.
- Have a love of books and read for enjoyment.
- Have an interest in words and their meanings and to develop a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- Spell a range of words confidently.
- Have an understanding of punctuation and grammar and to be able to apply their knowledge when writing.
- Understand a range of text types and genres, writing in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation and audience.
- Develop the powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness.